Please submit resumes to David Staerr via e-mail or fax email@example.com or 585-586-6752
A field survey technician with basic knowledge and skills for boundary surveys, topographic surveys and construction layout. Qualified candidates would possess a Technical, Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Land Surveying and have at least 2 to 5 years of survey experience related to the construction utility industry. Experience using AutoCAD, GPS and conventional survey equipment is also required. Other qualifications include a valid driver’s license, detail orientated, excellent oral and written communication, and have the ability to multi-task.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Sets up, operates, cleans, adjusts, and performs routine maintenance on surveying instruments such as total station, digital level and global positioning survey systems (GPS).
2. Uses surveying instruments to determine points, lines, elevations, and distances for property, construction, triangulation, precise traverse, and topographic surveys.
3. Transcribes observed and computed data onto standardized forms; maintains records; checks data, field sketches, field books, and calculations for accuracy.
4. Makes calculations using hand-held calculators or personal computer on surveying data such as temperature corrections, slope reduction, triangulations, precise traverse, closures, and areas.
5. Performs basic duties on a survey crew, such as clearing brush, determining and setting markers, taking routine measurements, assessing potential job site safety hazards.
6. Assists in locating and identifying monuments, benchmarks, property markers, and other reference points required for survey control.
7. May assist in searching records and compiling data for field crews; may review field books, legal descriptions and resolve discrepancies as required.
- Basic land, topographic, and construction surveying principles and practices
- Mathematics through trigonometry
- Computer software and its application to surveying including: AutoCAD/Civil 3D
- Hand held calculators (Hewlett Packard) with SMI survey program software
- Global Positioning System (GPS) and related Global Positioning (GP) software
Skill and Ability to:
- Accurately calculate and interpret maps and construction plans
- Perform technical work with rod and chain
- Communicate effectively in writing, including writing reports in a clear and concise manner
- Establish and maintain effective office procedures, records, sketches, note keeping and filing systems
- Ability to be a team player
- Enjoys working in a high expectation work environment.
- Have the ability to work out of town if required, flexible with work area
- Bachelors Degree in related field preferred, Community College Graduate accepted
- 2 to 5 years of related experience
Must be working towards the LSIT